TITLE: Solution Star Search
SUBJECT: Advanced Algebra
TOPIC: Solving equations using quadratic methods
INTERACTIVITY: On the back of each star are an equation and a letter. Students must solve each equation and write the letter in the appropriate spot on the cryptogram sheet. The solution set for the equation will be listed on the front of one of the other stars on the board. Students will then look on the back of that star to solve the equation and write down the letter on the cryptogram sheet. They will continue in this manner until they get to the star whose back reads "SOLVE THE CRYPTOGRAM." They will then solve the cryptogram using the letters that they found on the back of the various stars and show the result to the teacher. The cryptogram should read, "YOU ARE A MATH SUPERSTAR!"
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- Remove and look on the back of the star marked FIRST CLUE.
- On the back of the FIRST CLUE star you will find an equation and a letter. On the cryptogram sheet, there is a list of letters 1-11. Write the letter that is on the back of the FIRST CLUE star next to the number 1. Solve the equation using a quadratic method. The correct solution set is on the front of another star on the board.
- Replace the FIRCT CLUE star, and remove and look on the back of the star that shows the solution set to the equation on the back of the FIRST CLUE star. The back of this star will also have a letter and an equation on it. Since this is the second star youve removed, put its letter next to the 2 on the list of numbers on the cryptogram sheet. Solve the equation, replace the star, and find the solution set on one of the stars on the board.
- Continue in the above manner until you get to the SOLVE THE CRYPTOGRAM star.
- Solve the cryptogram and show the teacher your paper.
TIME: The activity should take 20-30 min.
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION: Velcro-backed removable stars
CREDIT: 25 point homework grade