So, Why Should you Study French?
There are more than 75 good reasons !
- It is not limited to one or two continents.
- French is spoken in TWO of the G8 countries.
- French is one of the official languages of the United Nations.
- Paris hosts over 1,000 congresses annually - and a world
record of international congresses
- France has the world’s greatest number of of Nobel Prize winners in literature. (12)
- France is the world’s major tourist destination.(60 millions visit France annually)
- Paris is considered the capital of the world in terms of quality of life (Healey and Baker)
- France is with Germany the main pillar in the EMU (European Monetary Union).
- France is Europe’s foremost investor abroad.
- France ranks 4th in terms of world power and it does not have the debt problems facing many other major industrialized nations. (A positive sign for joint projects, business and scientific co-operation).
- France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have the lowest rates of inflation in the European Union. This is an indicator of the health of these countries.
- France is renowned for the quality of its high-tech.
- French is a major language of high-tech and business in the world.
(Second language on the internet.)
- Over 50,000 English words have their origin in French.
- In terms of number of words, French is the largest language after English.
- France offers a range of generous scholarships to our graduate students.
- French is the most widely taught second language after English.
- French is the official language of the International Red Cross.
- French is the official language of post offices across the world.
- French is one of the two official languages at the Olympic Games.
- French-speaking Africa represents an area larger than the U.S.A.
- Montréal is the second largest French-Speaking city in the world.
- Le Courrier Australien, founded in 1892, is the oldest ethnic newspaper in Australia.
- Trade with Australia in 1995 totaled the following (figures obtained from the French-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry):
- Imports 6,3666, 000,000francs (the highest level recorded)
- Exports 4,393,000,000francs (1 Australian dollar= 3.5 francs)
- Megabucks for trade: In 1995 the United States did business/trade with the following countries in
order of importance: 1. French-speaking countries; 2. Japan; 3. Spanish speaking countries.
- Learning French can help you improve the interpersonal skills you bring to your international career.
- A good knowledge of French enables you to fully enjoy at the movie theaters or on TV, the best films from the French-speaking world.
- You can do so many more interesting things on the internet if you speak French. There are many high quality internet sites available in French ranging from society to science, fashion to finance, music to medicine …just to mention a few.
- For those with the appropriate skills there are also possibilities for employment (building a career rather than keeping a job) in the following fields:
- International business( what other kind of business is there in a global economy?)
- International agencies.
- The tourism and hospitality industries.
- The diplomatic service.
- French and /or French-speaking research institutes.
- Translating or interpreting.
And don’t forget the other 43 or so good reasons:
FRENCH IS SPOKEN IN OVER 43 COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD.
Text prepared by Dr. David ELDER Edith Cowan University
Revised by Dr. Bert PEETERS University of Tasmania June 16, 1997
and Dr. S. Pascale Dewey January 21, 1999